Head of Development
|Salary:||£80K + car|
Head of Development: My client is the largest such business in the UK with an enviable clientele of household names. Group-wide, the biggest current initiative they are undertaking is recruiting a team of specialists to deliver an integrated Big Data platform (in partnership with Microsoft) and associated services. Working closely with the Development Director, your role will be to lead this £10m+ initiative from a staff management / programme & project management perspective requiring direct communication with peers, internal stakeholders and clients alike.
Scope of role:
• To lead and manage a team of senior software, software, big data and mobile developers, supporting them in building an industry leading, robust and innovative software solution that is fit for purpose.
• To develop a strategy for the team to meet the company’s goals and objectives, and to improve the quality of the service it delivers internally and externally. To plan and monitor the successful implementation of this strategy.
• Responsible for the quality and technical approach taken by team members, ensuring it is in-line with the company strategy – and that projects are delivered on time and on budget.
• Creating and maintaining a professional culture within the team, where individuals take ownership and are fastidious and proud of delivering excellence and quality.
• Line management responsibilities will include technical recruitment, appraisals, 121 meetings, identifying training needs, motivating and performance managing the team
• To drive the strategic direction of products & services always taking into account emerging technologies
• To oversee strategy for both product and bespoke code base platform definition and implementation
• To strategically decide whether we can inherit existing /support legacy code bases – and how we handle our growing levels of software support
• To devise a tactical plan which can be collaboratively carried out by the team – to implement improvements to our products, services, processes and knowledge sharing within the team
• To plan for team growth considering the blend/level of skills required within team
• To facilitate the smooth delivery of all projects, enhancements and support delivered by the team
• To facilitate technology and methodology decision making throughout team, including standardisation of system architecture, reusable code base development, versions of software tools, best practice, source control and deployment processes
• To have a clear task list and plan for inducting new members into the team and bring them up-to-speed as quickly as possible
Key skills and experience:
• Experience of leading teams of developers in an Agile environment
• Knowledge and experience of programming languages and methodologies – ideally C# .Net
• Experience of managing, directing and motivating staff to deliver projects with stretching scope and objectives
• Highly numerate and literate, with the ability to produce top quality written specifications and strategy and implementation communication
• Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skills
• Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure
• Experience at advising key stakeholders at senior and board level