IT Support Engineer
Sorry, this position has just been filled
IT Support Engineer
You will be a member of the Infrastructure & Support team, which looks after the company’s network, servers and workstations and which provides desktop support to circa 400 end users. This role will involve troubleshooting and diagnostics plus work on technical projects.
You will be working within a larger Technology department that includes many in-house developers. The department embraces Agile and DevOps methodologies.
The role is based at the company’s head office in Chester, it will include some travel to the company’s two other sites. There is a help desk telephone rota, for evenings and weekend support, since the company’s call centre is open from 8am to 10pm, seven days a week. This rota is shared amongst a pool of 10+ people and is not generally onerous.
The job would suit someone in the early stages of their I.T. career who is willing and able to be mentored into professional I.T. practice. There will be excellent growth opportunities for the right candidate. You will encounter modern methodologies and technologies not common in more traditional IT departments.
An interest in cyber security will be advantageous.
- Supporting Windows desktop
- Proficient with Microsoft Word & Microsoft Excel or similar
- Administering Active Directory
- Networking (firewalls, routers, switches, protocols)
- Backup technologies
- Call logging/trouble ticket software
- Cloud-based technologies, particularly AWS or Azure Desirable Experience
- An ITIL qualification would be highly advantageous
- Supporting Linux desktop and OS X
- HP networking
- Sophos firewalls
- Any SAN technology, particularly Dell Compellent
- Management of NAS appliances
- VMware ESXi
- Microsoft Exchange 2010+
- PBX support, particularly Mitel
- Scripting (PowerShell/bash) and/or programming (PHP, SQL, etc.
- DNS management Core Accountabilities The Support Engineer will:
- Conscientiously log, manage and triage service requests within target service levels.
- Work diligently on assigned projects and tasks.
- Maintain consistent documentation when required.
- Monitor and test backups.
- Perform routine testing to verify availability of redundant systems.
- Troubleshoot issues logically and methodically.
- Specific Responsibilities
- Providing technical support in person and on the phone, logging all details in the company’s service desk system, for the company’s bespoke back office systems, plus desktop support for Windows and Mac OS X systems, including Microsoft Office.
- Remote access support.
- Where appropriate, recognition and escalation of more complex issues.
- Careful, competent administration of Windows and Linux servers.
- Monitoring I.T. systems and responding as appropriate.
- Efficient work on technical projects, sometimes involving tight deadlines.
- Assistance with “Dress rehearsals” of DR procedures.
- Hardware and software repairs – this may include crawling under desks and working in cramped quarters!
- Personal Attributes
- A strong interest in IT and in acquiring IT-related knowledge
- Patient – the ability to communicate effectively with a user base of varying IT skill levels whilst providing excellent service.
- Good documentation and communication skills
- Excellent telephone manner
- Stable – a key requirement of the role is to ensure that business risks are minimised at all times
- Flexibly intelligent – able to acquire new skills quickly
- Proactive and tenacious
- Clean driving licence
- Attentive to detail
- About UsAlthough we work hard, we also believe in rewarding that hard work. In addition to salaries, we offer a generous benefits package including:
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Annual bonus scheme
- Staff pension
- Private Medical
- Death in Service payment
- Subsidised park and ride passes
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Long service awards - cash payments and increases in holiday allowances
- Staff product discount
- Free worldwide travel insurance (including family members)
- Wellness extras, including free annual flu jabs, reflexology sessions and free fruit supplied in the office
By applying now, you accept you have read and accepted our GDPR Privacy Notice for Job Applicants.Back to Vacancy Listing